Modernize Intake and Stakeholder Collaboration will Follow
Increasing stakeholder collaboration is a goal I often hear from procurement professionals.
Stakeholders typically say that the existing procurement process is cumbersome and time consuming.
Here are some of the common frustrations that have been shared with me:
- “The current intake process has so many steps even for routine purchases.”
- Procurement always seems to be overwhelmed and slow to respond even when we have an emergency buying situation.”
- “We don’t have a centralized repository of contracts. Finding the most basic information is a chore.”
- “We have many projects with requirements that are technical. We normally know suppliers that can meet our requirements. Procurement may not consider our recommendations especially if this means qualifying a new supplier.”
- “I find it hard to believe that we are still using a manual system.”
- “Finding out the status of our request means calling or emailing. Why can’t we have a dashboard and automatic updates?”
I know one thing, if you make a process difficult, people will find a way to work around it.
The interesting thing for me is that all these companies have an intake process in place so modernizing it doesn’t mean starting from scratch.
Setting up an automated workflow for intake will allow your organization to:
- Eliminate unneeded steps
- Create express workflows for repeatable purchases that are automatically approved in virtually all cases
- Provide access to prior requests to simply similar requests
- Capture project and request documentation in a central repository that can be searched quickly
- Motivate stakeholder participation by cutting the intake and follow up time by 25% to 45% at a minimum
- Dramatically increase spend under management by motivating compliance rather than rogue spend
- Gain visibility into the bottlenecks in the existing and modernized process
With all these potential benefits what is holding companies back?
It can’t be the investment because affordable solutions are available.
Gaining control over rogue spend alone should generate a healthy ROI.
Time shouldn’t be an issue either because automating an existing manual process can be completed in weeks not years with software tools that are readily available.
One client of mine has automated the intake process for seven key categories in the last six months.
The results have been so dramatic that the client is looking for other areas of the business to automate using the same workflow tool.
Based on my experience, stakeholders will embrace the change because it will make their life easier.
Efficiency and effectiveness will drive your competitive advantage.
If you have heard enough whining from stakeholders, please request a 30-minute discovery call with me using the link below.
If I can’t help you, I will let you know that, and we can part friends. If we both agree that we should continue the conversation, we can set up the next logical step.
Ask better questions, make changes and 2020 will be your best year ever.
Action Step: Finding the right tools for your needs can be a challenging process but it doesn’t have to be. If you are uncertain where to start the process of change, a procurement professional like myself can provide guidance and expertise to help your organization achieve the results you want. If you want to go explore this topic in greater detail, please contact me. I invite you to request 30-minute discovery conversation. In my experience the next step will be apparent at the end of the call. I never assume that what I have to offer will be right for everyone, so don’t expect a sales pitch. You can reach me at 973-936-9672.
If you would like to know more ways to reduce costs without changing the way you do business, simply give me a call or send me an email with your contact information and the best time to reach you.
You Won’t Drift to Success©
Commit to taking the next step.
Until Next Time, I Wish You Great Success in Your Business and in Your Life