Five Minutes Can Create More Successes in Your Procurement Group
If you are willing to spend five minutes, you can create more success in your procurement group.
I was checking out at the grocery store on Sunday and noticed a sign taped to the wall by the cashier.
It had two lists. The first was titled: “If you have one minute”. The second was titled: “if you have five minutes”.
The lists include simple ways that idle time can be used productively.
This seemed like a smart idea so I spent five minutes creating an opportunity list that I can attack any time I have a few minutes to spare.
If you are like me, you get stuck sometimes and you don’t know what you should tackle next. Creating this list will help me focus my efforts on important tasks.
Today I will share some thoughts that I hope will help you to find more successes in your procurement group.
Take a deep breath and think about any one of them when you have five free minutes and I guarantee that you will identify ways to make yourself and your group look good.
- Identify three spend categories that you would like to attack.
- Identify one supplier that has been doing and outstanding job and determine if they can handle more of your business.
- Create a list of suppliers that has had issues with on time delivery, quality issues or product shortages.
- Speak to the receiving supervisor to find out if other suppliers have had issues that haven’t bubbled up to your group yet.
- Follow up on one corrective action item you have been neglecting.
- Make a change in a report that you have been putting off.
- Ask your staff what one thing they would change if they had the power to do it.
- Schedule a training class you have wanted to attend.
- Talk to a friend in another company to find out what they have been doing to create opportunities.
- Call a colleague in another division or group and brainstorm ways to increase efficiency.
- List two things you would like to change today if you had a magic wand.
Creating the list is the first step.
Next, you will need to create a game plan if it is a big task or simply do it if the task is small.
I like to spend time on what is working so I can create similar successes with other suppliers or in other spend categories.
Action Step: Every organization can get better. Finding and creating success is often a matter of taking the first step. If you are uncertain where to start, a procurement professional like myself can provide guidance and expertise to help your organization achieve the results you want. If you would like to explore this topic in greater detail, please contact me.
If you want to explore a purchasing or procurement topic in greater detail, I invite you to request 30-minute discovery conversation. In my experience the next step will be apparent at the end of the call. I never assume that my recommendations will be right for everyone, so don’t expect a sales pitch. You can reach me at 973-936-9672.
Organizations of all sizes are reducing costs and increasing efficiency, without changing the way they conduct business. If you would like to know how, simply give me a call or send me an email with your contact information and the best time to reach you.
You Won’t Drift to Success©
Think about it.
Until Next Time, I Wish You Great Success in Your Business and in Your Life