I can’t think of one procurement professional who wouldn’t want to make their life easier by eliminating some of their day-to-day challenges.
It is the nature of what I do that I help people become more productive.
It is very cool when a client tells you that they are excited to go to work again.
I believe that most people are excited to fix all the stuff that is wrong in the process and they are also apprehensive about the changes.
Having the opportunity to recreate the process with efficiency in mind is inviting.
If you are considering upgrading your current procurement process or system here are some features that will probably make your life easier.
I will share a sample of recommendations that I know will help you.
Automated onboarding and management of suppliers:
- This can be done in steps. Suppliers can have a secure portal to submit base information that can be approved before they move to the next logical step.
- The system can be set up to have as many steps or approval points as appropriate. It can also have multiple paths based on the type of vendor category or the type of service or product they provide.
- Communication to you and the supplier will be automatic at each approval point. Automated exception reporting should be part of your process.
- Suppliers should receive automated notices in advance to update information and documents with expiration dates or to meet new requirements.
- I also like to have each supplier update critical information as part of every event or they can’t participate.
- Submission errors should be automatically routed for follow up.
Automated communication and reminders:
- We all have too much to remember and there are numerous steps that can be automated.
- The ability to instantly see the status of all supplier submissions on a dashboard is invaluable.
- Status reports can be set up in multiple formats to fit the needs of participants, stakeholders and collaborators. The reports can be sent at predetermined times or customized for each recipient.
- Reminders would be automatic based on the progress each supplier has made. You shouldn’t have to make a phone call to remind a supplier that a bid is due or that information is missing. Suppliers are busy but it shouldn’t be your job to ensure they get their bids in.
- Responses and updates to specifications and answers to supplier questions during an event should be automatically routed to all participants.
- Responses can be set up as templates to eliminate inconsistencies in handling common items.
Automated Analysis and Reporting
- The analysis you need is produced without the added step of using Excel to organize it or perform any additional steps.
- Participants, collaborators and stakeholders typically need different information to make decisions. Each person should be able to receive a report in the way that makes sense to them.
- Distribution of each report is automatic and in the format defined.
- Even though I believe that your system should handle any analysis you need it can be convenient to download and upload data to/from Excel. This feature can be useful in developing new analyses. Once they are finalized they can then be set up in system.
The list of time-savers and profit boosters is close to endless.
Working with people who have been in your role or have helped multiple organizations should help you redefine your process. Eliminating redundancy and outdated requirements is uplifting.
Picture how much better your life at work will be when you have these enhancements in place.
IF you are moving down that road, enjoy the process because the end result will be worth it.
If you want to explore a purchasing or procurement topic in greater detail, I invite you to request 30-minute discovery conversation. In my experience the next step will be apparent at the end of the call. I never assume that my recommendations will be right for everyone, so don’t expect a sales pitch. You can reach me at 973-936-9672.
Organizations of all sizes are reducing costs and increasing efficiency, without changing the way they conduct business. If you would like to know how, simply give me a call or send me an email with your contact information and the best time to reach you.
You Won’t Drift to Success©
Think about it.
Until Next Time, I Wish You Great Success in Your Business and in Your Life